Nothing is better than a nice hot, ooey, gooey chocolate dessert that can be topped with almost anything, right?
That’s why, when I recently came upon a 5 minute chocolate mug cake recipe, I just had to try it out. Unfortunately, that recipe was NOT what it was cracked up to be and made me wonder if all people taste things differently. Kind of like that whole black and blue, or white and gold, dress debate that has been going on these past few weeks. Everyone was seeing something different, so I wonder if everyone tastes something different when it comes to food.
In any case, I had some work to do in order for it to be to my standards of yumminess.
What is a Mug Cake?
Mug cakes are exactly as it sounds. It is a cake in a mug, usually cooked in the microwave, and can be made in a variety of flavors. Mug cakes, in general, are easy to make and only take a few minutes before you are able to start enjoying it. After some time in the kitchen, and a bit of a stomachache from all the testing, I have found an amazing combination for a 5 minute chocolate mug cake that I call, Death by Chocolate in a Mug.
This is the perfect dessert for when you are home alone and want to treat yourself, or if you want to share it with someone you love…but believe me, you won’t! This decadent dessert will kick any chocolate craving you have right in the fun bags and send it packing. So get ready, because your tongue is about to slap your brains out! (Thank you to my brother-in-law for that hilarious saying.)
Death By Chocolate In A Mug
This recipe, if done correctly, will give you a moist, gooey cake that is more like an under-cooked brownie. It does not contain eggs, so leaving it a bit under cooked is perfectly fine. With the end result, you want there to be some left over batter at the bottom (I call this Liquid Gold), so it does not need to be cooked longer than the time I’ve stated, unless you want it to be more cake-like than brownie.
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 2 Tbs. Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 2 Tbs. Vegetable oil
- 2 Tbs. Prepared coffee
- 2 Tbs. Chocolate syrup
- 1/4 tsp. Vanilla
- 2 Tbs. Chocolate chips (optional)
1. Add all dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
2. Add all wet ingredients to the dry mixture and mix until all lumps are gone.
3. Add in Walnuts, if desired, and mix into mixture.
4. Spray large coffee mug with non-stick cooking spray and pour mixture into the mug.
5. Add chocolate chips right on top in the center of the mix, you can even add more nuts if you like.
6. Microwave for 2 minutes, then let is sit for a minute or two in the microwave.
7. Stick a spoon in it and Enjoy with your favorite topping or just by itself.
Death by Chocolate in a Mug for Two
- Instead of just digging in with a spoon and eating it right out of the mug, take a butter knife and go around the edge of the mug to make sure the cake is loosened from the sides. Then take a small plate and flip it on top of the mug. Carefully, flip mug and plate over to get the cake on the plate.
Violá! Molten Lava Cake for Two. Add a scoop or two of your favorite ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream and you’ll have the perfect, easy, romantic dessert for two.
- Any flavor ice cream (my favorite is Butter Pecan)
- Whipped Cream
- Hot fudge (for the extreme chocolate lover)
- Chocolate shavings
There you have it! I hope you enjoy my version of a Chocolate Mug Cake. Even after several days of working on this recipe, I still can’t wait to make another mug of hot, chocolaty goodness. Stomachache or not. Though, I will have to say that I would classify this as more of a brownie than a cake. But honestly, who cares about schematics. You can slice it, dice it, or put it in a stew and this will still be an AMAZING dessert…okay, maybe not in a stew, but you get the point. 😉
So, what do you think of this dessert? Is it not the best microwaveable yummy goodness you have ever tasted? Let me know in the comments below. I would love to get your input no matter if you love it or hate it. Or, have another mug cake idea to share? Let me hear it below. I hope you enjoy this recipe and believe me, mug cakes are not done with here on Cake Decorating Mommy. I will have more recipes in the near future.