How To Make Whipped Icing – One Ingredient Whipped Icing

How to Make Whipped Icing – Rich’s Bettercreme® Icing

How To Make Whipped Icing

When it comes to icing or frosting, some like it sweet and buttery, others prefer it to be less sweet and whipped.  For those who prefer the whipped icing to cover their cakes, one product that all “at home” cake decorators should try is Rich’s Bettercreme® Icing.  This non-dairy icing is light and fluffy and resembles whipped cream, though it is a bit sweeter and thicker.

I was introduced to this product when asked to make a graduation cake and the customer specifically asked for whipped icing.  All I could think was “How do you make whipped icing?”  Thankfully my customer told me that she knew of an icing that I could purchase and whip up without any problems.  So of course I had to check it out.

How To Make Whipped Icing

Rich’s Bettercreme®, which is found at Gordon Food Service, Sam’s Club, Smart and Final, and other restaurant distribution stores, is a great find for anyone who decorates cakes.  Available in both pre-whipped and in liquid form, it is super simple to use for almost all of your cake needs.  Because it is mostly sold to restaurants and bakeries, it can be purchased in both large and small quantities.

The pre-whipped has a variety of flavors like vanilla, chocolate, cookies n creme, and even peanut butter but if you prefer to whip it yourself, which is the way I do it, it can be found in vanilla, chocolate, and double rich chocolate.  Some stores may only have a few flavors on hand.  I have only personally seen it in vanilla at my local Gordon Food Service store but I have never tried to hunt it down at Sam’s Club or anywhere else.  They also may only sell it by the 28lb bucket full which is pre-whipped, but thankfully Rich’s website had plenty of information about how to properly store your the icing if that was the only way you could purchase it.

How To Make Rich’s Bettercreme® Icing

Nothing could be more simple than whipping up this icing.  It is practically a no-fail* product.  Here are the easy to use instructions that I found on Rich’s website about how to properly make their icing.

How To Make Whipped IcingHow To Make Whipped IcingHow To Make Whipped Icing

Uses

The obvious best way to use Rich’s Bettercreme® icing is to cover your cakes with it and to put between the layers.  It is a smooth icing that will easily cover your cakes without having to manipulate it in anyway.  Some icings/frostings may be thicker and pull at the cake if you don’t properly dirty ice or crumb coat it first, which I will post about in the near future, but Bettercreme® will not do that because of it’s whipped consistency.

You can add coloring to the icing while it is whipping but just remember that the color will lighten considerably as it is being whipped.  Also, be careful not to over whip it while you add the coloring.  I like to add it to the liquid BEFORE I start whipping it.  I set my mixer on SLOW speed as the color is added and then turn the speed up to start the whipping.  Then I add more color if needed as it’s being whipped.

How To Make Whipped Icing

Another great use for this icing is to use it as a filling for cupcakes.  One of my absolute FAVORITE ways to fill my cupcakes is by mixing the Bettercreme® with chocolate pudding to make a sort of mousse and piping it into the center of the cupcake then top the cupcake off with just the Bettercreme®.  (Hold on a minute while I wipe the drool off my chin.)

Since this icing taste similar to whipped cream, it would also be great to use as the icing for ice cream cakes, pancakes, parfaits, chocolate pie (any pie really)…basically anything you might need whipped cream for.  One recipe that is NOT cake related that I happened upon on Rich’s website is an Orange Creamsicle Mousse.  It looked so delicious that I wanted to share it with all of you.

How To Properly Store Your Icing

Many people, including me, may not know how to properly store their frostings when they find they have a surplus of it left over after finishing a cake.  Questions like “how long of a shelf life does it have?” or “can I freeze it?” would undoubtedly cross their minds.

With each new recipe I make, I have to take the time to research how to package up any left over frosting and icings or I just end up throwing it away.  And as a mom of three girls who also homeschools, drives them to dance classes, American Heritage Girls meetings, doctors appointments, and tries to give the illusion that I am actually caring for my house, I usually choose the latter.  What a waste!

So I found the answers to how to properly store your Bettercreme® Icing so none of us have to watch our money being crushed in the garbage truck on trash day.

How To Make Whipped IcingA couple tips that I found on the forums at CakeCentrals.com is if you purchase a large pre-whipped bucket of this icing, you should purchase it FROZEN and put it straight into the freezer to stay frozen until you need it.  Then, only take out enough frozen pre-whipped Bettercreme® to cover your cake and let that defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours.

To keep condensation out of the pail of frozen icing, first cover the pail with plastic wrap, then put on the lid.  This will help seal out the air and moisture.

*Cons to Rich’s Bettercreme® Icing

One complaint that I have personally, and that I found in my research was the complaint of several, is that the Bettercreme® can be temperamental.  If you whip the icing too long or add too much coloring then it will get crumbly and harden, or dried out.  You definitely do not want to over whip it.  Though I have read that if you just add a touch of water, a little at a time, or a bit of the liquid icing if you have some left over, then it will get back to the right consistency.  This is something that I will be testing further and I will update my post after a bit of experimenting.

Nutrition Facts

Rich’s has several different types of products but I thought I would go ahead and give you the ingredient list and nutrition facts for the Vanilla Bettercreme® Icing that comes in the liquid form and is the same one that I normally purchase.  For nutrition facts and ingredients for other Rich’s products, please visit their website.

How To Make Whipped IcingHow To Make Whipped Icing

How To Make Whipped Icing

If you have any questions or would like to share your experience with Rich’s Bettercreme®, feel free to leave a comment.  I would love to hear from you. 🙂

God Bless,

Amanda

Be Sociable, Share!

22 comments

1. Michael says:

Many nice Ideas about Cake decorating. Can make a person hungry for Cake. Will have to send some friends to your Website.

• Amanda says:

That would be very much appreciated Michael. The biggest problem with having cake decorating as a hobby is that you “have to” try a lot of cake and icing. Oh well! 😉

2. Michelle says:

Hi Amanda. You have made me hungry for cake! I love to decorate cakes, but have never used this whipped icing that you are talking about. It seems that it is really easy to use and is versatile. I’m going to have to search for this product at my local Sam’s Club. I really want to give this a try. Thank you for sharing, I love finding new products to try out! 🙂

3. Chris Towers says:

Me and my good lady have been looking for a good cake recipe but the icing is always one thing that we fear.

Thanks for this information. It should make things a little easier.

Chris

• Amanda says:

I understand what you mean, Chris. Icing can be scary because that is the biggest flavor on the cake and if it isn’t done right then the whole cake is a bust. This product is very easy to handle and you don’t have to do anything but whip it. Works great for anyone who doesn’t have a go-to icing recipe. Thanks for stopping by. 🙂

4. Ed says:

Hi Amanda,
    Not being a baker and not even much of a cook, I never knew How To Make Whipped Icing. I’ll bet I could do it now! those are great instructions and suggestions! Thanks for the great post! Cheers ! 🙂

5. Ericka Woolworth says:

I absolutely love this frosting, it’s mine and my families favorite!!!! But it’s a 45 minute drive one way for me to go to GFS and purchase it. Does anyone have a recipe that is similar to this frosting? Thanks in advance!

• Amanda says:

Hi Ericka,

At the moment, I do not have a recipe that has mimicked that of Bettercreme, but I will definitely be on the hunt for you. I am so glad that you like it and come back any time. 🙂

6. Dede White says:

Does this whipped frosting have to be refrigerated after decorating? I need to make 150 cupcakes for my niece’s wedding, will it hold a design or is it too soft? Is the color a pure white? Can I add color to it?

Thanks so much I never took on such a big baking project.

• Amanda says:

Hi Dede,

This icing is a lot like whipped cream but it’s a little thicker and most definitely needs to be refrigerated. It is a soft-stiff whip, if that makes sense, so you won’t be able to use it for piping, except to pipe it on a cupcake. Nothing intricate, unfortunately. But it is oh so yummy! It won’t hold a design like making flowers with it because, like I said earlier, it’s a whip cream type icing. You can color it, for sure, but it needs to be done when you start to whip it in the mixer. It will lighten as it whips so add the color as you see fit, but before it is fully whipped up. I hope this helps. Good luck with the wedding. I’m sure it will be FANTASTIC! 🙂

Best of Luck,

Amanda

• Paula says:

According to the Rich’s website, if you purchase the frozen liquid, it can be left refrigerated after frosting. (I’ve been doing some research on this product, as I was looking for a whipped cream type frosting that would be counter stable for a time)

SHELF LIFE:
        FROZEN: 365 DAYS
        REFRIGERATED UNOPENED: 90 DAYS
        REFIRGERATED OPENED: 7 DAYS
        APPLIED TO PRODUCTS (NON-REFRIGERATED: LESS THAN 80 F): 5 DAYS

• Amanda says:

Thank you Paula for finding that. 🙂 I personally enjoy this product refrigerated but yes, it is safe enough to leave out, though I would avoid it being in the sun for long. Thank you for share this Paula. 🙂

7. candace says:

I want to try this product and was wondering how to flavor the vanilla liquid variety. You mentioned pudding; would that be the instant powder or do you actually make up the cook variety and add the pudding to the whipped liquid? what about adding jam at the time of whipping, will that work as well Thank you

• Amanda says:

Hi Candance,

What I did with this is made instant pudding then mixed in the already whipped frosting, so it made the pudding kind of like a mousse. I used it as a filling, not as a frosting, and I put it in cupcakes. If you used it as a frosting, then have the ratio of frosting much higher than the pudding. It might be too loose or soft with too much pudding.

I hope this helps. 🙂

Amanda

• Amanda says:

Hey Lorin,

I know we already spoke through private messaging about this but I just wanted to reply on here too so everyone can know the answer. 🙂 So, in my opinion…Yes, you can cover the cake with the Bettercreme and freeze it, then thaw it when you want to serve it. You will need to thaw it in the fridge though, not on the counter. Good luck with your cake! 🙂

8. Mai Vu says:

Hi there.
    I hear this produce many times,I like it so much but I never find out in grocery even though the company said looking at Groger grocery.I very happy and went to Groger where th company guide the location decided . But so sad I went almost the grocery they guide,no store to carry on this produce.Can you tell me,where I can buy this ? I want to try and taste .Ialways to make birthday cake ,I used whipping to frost but whipping don’t hold the shape long time and made smooth facing cake very difficult.with butter so fat I never used it.Thank you .I hope receive your email next day.

• Amanda says:

Hi Mai Vu, the only place I have been able to find this stuff is at GFS, Gordon Food Service. I’ve been told you can possibly find it at Sam’s Club or Costco. Basically any store that is meant for restaurants to replenish their supplies. But you might only find the pre-whipped version of this icing at the bigger stores. I hope this helps! 🙂